Wednesday 23 January 2013

Memories



23 January 2012


My daughter and her brother. The beginning of her love affair with the camera?

        I have just been reduced to tears by looking at my daughter’s website! What does she do?
She’s a wedding photographer! In Spain, on the Costa del Sol.
        She introduces herself with a lot of the childhood photographs that I took of her.  It must mean something. 
     She takes beautiful, romantic images of her clients in delightfully warm, sunny and exotic locations. Maybe it’s knowing that my next lovely couple will be travelling into the Brecon Beacons for their reception that is producing a momentary frisson of envy in me.


As the queen of hearts in a little video I made of her and friends in the 1970's




     Looking back over some of her childhood photos I see that there is definitely a romantic element to many of the pictures I took of her and often a dramatic theme to the videos. 
The next one, I can't remember what it was called, but the making of it involved three 
broken down cars, three AA call outs, the (putative) director being, very reluctantly, 
coerced into becoming the leading man and the immortal line,
    "You be wet girl." 
I don't remember what was supposed to happen in  the script but I was reading a lot of 
Thomas Hardy at the time.  



In the 1980's "under the spreading greenwood tree?"

But I am grateful that despite the bits of flooding, moving house, lost crates and 
suitcases and the various other disasters that occur to photographs in the course of 20
or 30 years, I still retain as many as I do, that will continue to provoke entertaining and
sometimes emotional memories.

Every parent should have one.

Mum's worst nightmare, a man with a motorbike

         I think what I'm trying to say is you never know what memories will want to record and remember, so start soon and record everything.











No comments:

Post a Comment